The International Camel Conference (ICC) under the patronage of Camel Association of Pakistan and the Islamia University of Bahawalpur was organized in Baghdad campus of Islamia University (19-21 Dec 2013). Bahawalpur being the city of the great Thar desert and home of camel culture was the right choice for this event. Many scientists, research scholars, camel herders and students from different universities and institutions participated in this important event on the camel. Many animal scientists, students and camel herders from Balochistan province also participated.
FAO Balochistan chapter sponsored a group of camel herders and L&DD officials to participate in the conference. The conference was very versatile of its nature, not only covered the camel science but provided a good opportunity to camel people to know about the camel culture of great Thar desert which is famously known as the Cholistan. The vice-chancellor of the IslamiUniversityty (Dr Iftikhar) was very kind and humble while providing all the best facilities and opportunities to the conference participants. Camel scientists from 7 different countries also participated.The Desert’s Livestock Species Have Tremendous Potential for Milk Produciton
The scientists presented their work on camel culture, milk production potential, milk characteristics, camel breeds and breeding, diseases and economic opportunities etc. The local media covered the event in a very nice way and kept the country audience and viewers aware regarding the conference. At the end of the camel conference, the following recommendations were suggested.
- To maintain camel genetic and production diversity with the involvement of the camel herders and policymakers
- To maintain camel habitats, especially Cholistan desert intact and safe from land grabbing etc
- The slogan of ‘DESERT SHOULD REMAIN THE DESERT‘ was given for Eco-conservation of Camels and ‘SAVE PASTROLISM
- More interaction development among the camel people, camel scientists and policymakers should initiate
- Research on camel diseases and other health issues should initiate and coordinate with the international bodies in this field
Publication of full-length articles of the abstracts received in ICC-2013 in a peer-reviewed journal
Industry Liaison for Value Addition of camel products
Enhanced collaboration with foreign camel researchers and institute
Camel conference was a great opportunity, except the bad weather with the heavy fog. At the end of the conference, the meeting of the CAP was organized and some decisions were made. The decisions of the CAP are given in the ensuing lines.
- The foreign scientist (not more than 5) will be invited purely on merit basis to make it more worthwhile and fruitful
- The meeting was held on 21st Dec at 8 pm
- I suggested a seminar (with very specific title) and with very specific number of participants
- The seminar will be in the month of Jan or Feb 2015, as the next ISOCARD is in June 2015 Almatay Kazakhstan
- The venue of the meeting will be decided later but most probably, Karachi, Uthal, Quetta or Lahore
- CAP member list will be compiled according to the registered members in 3 categories, i.e.
- category A. Scientist/Activist/NGOs
- Category B. Camel Herders
- Category C. Students
- Next election will be held on the occasion of the Seminar in 2015
- The CAP registration amount, other income and expenditure if any, will be compiled and will be present to the cabinet
- A Skype/online consultative meeting of the willing CAP members or other scientists to highlight/fix and mention the priority areas on camel in Pakistan
I am very pleased now, as the importance of camel is being appreciated in Pakistan. In the climate change context and challenge of food security; camel is the best choice to accept these challenges.
5 thoughts on “International Camel Conference at Islamia University Bahawalpur Pakistan”
Respected Dr Raziq,
First of all i congratulates you and Dr younas for such an event took place at IUB, just cos of you people,hats off for you.such dedicated and proffessional scientists working day and night ,around the globe for such a lovly creation of GOD the Camel,will bring great results,for the country.
we are always with you,prayers for your health and prosperity.
Reblogged this on Rashid's Blog.
First of all i congratulates to all interested guys to do such an event took place in the world especially it is important for us (Ethiopian) to do more/awarenees at such importance animal.please invite us in the future works in related to camel and will bring great results,for the country.
Reblogged this on Dr. B. A. Usman's Blog.
That was really a great event. We are again planning a camel conference in Pakistan again in December 2015.