Camel and goats like salty and spiny species of plants. Such plants are also called icecream species for camel and goats. In part 1, we discussed Prosopis, Acacia, and Haloxylon species. In this article Leptadinia and Zygophyllum species will be briefly discussed along with the pictures. The link to part 1 is provided here. The Ice Cream Species of Plants for the Camel and Goat. Part 1
1. Leptadenia pyrotechnica (Marakh as the local Arabic name, Bararra in Pashtu)
It is widespread from Africa and the Arabian peninsula to South Asia. The camel likes it very much because of its taste and flavor. When lush, it has higher contents of CP.
One picture tells different and multidimensional stories. Markh (Leptadenia) plant plays a multipurpose role, from halting creeping sand, providing shelter to insects, and soil conservation to camel food. The camels browse this Ice cream species of plant.
Marakh is a multipurpose plant, used for different aspects as well as food. I have started a new series of short films on the ice cream species of plants. The link to the video channel about the March plant is given below. In a youtube video, I delivered a lecture about the Leptania bush directly from the desert. Camel Icecream spp Marakh or Boom Bush (Leptadenia pyrotechnica)
In the link below you can find more details about the role and related traditional knowledge in the UAE. Broom Bush
The bush is also considered a diuretic both in humans and animals. Some camel keepers offer Markh to the male camel when they have urine obstruction problems. We the Pashtun people make chewing gum from this plant. Fruits or pods of the Leptadenia. The seed matures with a bunch of wings, once the pod opens, the seed flies in the air and reaches wide and far places.
2. Tetraena qatarensis synonym Zygophyllum qatarense, commonly known as Harm or Hadidi
A salt-tolerant plant of the Arabian Peninsula that grows as a rounded, dwarf shrub. In adaptation to retaining water in its saline environment, it has small compact leaves that are rather fleshy and succulent. The camel loves this plant for 2 main reasons, i.e. the rich source of water and provides abundant salts.
The plant is the real icecream species for camel and goat. The only thing camel need in the hot dry environment of the region is water and salts and the plant is rich in these 2 nutrients. I have compiled a lot of work on this precious flora of the desert, the links are provided below.
- Some basic botanical facts about Tetraena qatarensis
- Desert ecology, floral survival, and camel grazing – Impacts and the future hopes
- The mysterious problem in Zygophyllum qatarense
- The Strong and Resilient Plant of Desert; Tetraena qatarensis synonym Zygophyllum qatarense, commonly known as Harm or Hadidi
- A Desert Adapted Bush Tetraena qatarensis synonym Zygophyllum qatarense, commonly known as Harm or Hadidi
- Tetraena qatarensis synonyms to Zygophyllum qatarense are nomads’ medicine in the desert
- The camel and Tetraena qatarensis synonym Zygophyllum qatarense, have learned to live in a symbiotic relationship in the desert
- How does Tetraena qatarensis synonym Zygophyllum qatarense Support Wildlife and Livestock in the Desert?
I delivered some lectures about the flora of the desert, here is the link to the Zygophyllum.
Pharmacological Action and Toxicity
- Diuretic and antipyretic
- Anti-histamine activity
- Healing constipation
- The juice from fresh leaves and stems is used for the treatment of certain skin diseases
- For lowering blood pressure
The first article on the camel icecream plant species is provided in the link.https://arkbiodiv.com/2017/12/17/plants-that-are-liked-such-as-icecream-by-the-camels-part-1-2/